Detour Travel partner Metropolitan Touring in Ecuador reports they have been awarded an Honorable Mention in the category of Poverty Alleviation in Conde Nast Traveler’s Wolrd Savers Awards 2010. Detour applauds Metropolitan Touring for their sustainable tourism initiatives!
From Metropolitan Touring:
Condé Nast Traveler has awarded Metropolitan Touring an Honorable Mention in the category of Poverty Alleviation as part of the World Savers Awards 2010. The event’s listing is in the magazine‘s September 2010 issue. Metropolitan Touring is one of the companies selected worldwide as a leader in social responsibility, honoring the airlines, cruise lines, city hotels, resorts, hotel chains, and tour operators that are dedicated to saving their communities and the world. The awards will be announced in a formal ceremony during the annual
Condé Nast Traveler World Savers Congress in Singapore on October 19, 2010. Conde Nast Traveler World Savers Awards recognize companies that are stepping up to the challenge of improving our world. As a leader in the travel industry, Metropolitan Touring is honored to be recognized by Condé Nast Traveler for our efforts towards Sustainable Tourism, The company is constantly seeking to leave a positive environmental footprint and to contribute to improve the lives in the communities we work with. We motivate the company’s clients, guests and staff on environmental awareness and setting standards in social responsibility with practical actions that are tangible and quantifiable. Metropolitan Touring was also recognized by World Savers Award in 2008 with an Honorable Mention in the category of Wildlife Conservation.
Metropolitan Touring has incorporated an Environmental Policy to its company philosophy, a set of practices that is being put into effect not only in Ecuador but throughout South America, as the company continues to expand. Responsible Tourism contributes to poverty alleviation, and while we still have a lot to accomplish on the long road toward sustainability, we strongly believe that we are headed in the right direction.
Metropolitan Touring actively participates in and promotes corporate stewardship, nature conservation initiatives and projects that improve the quality of life of local communities. Among our main programs are:
· Solid-Waste Recycling on Santa Cruz Island, Galápagos
· Coastal Cleaning outings in the Galapagos with volunteers and local fishermen’s boats.
· Expedition Voyages aboard our ships for Galápagos students, to improve awareness.
· Contributions to projects for the women of Galápagos for a bakery and handcrafts.
· Metropolitan Touring’s Boutique Hotel in downtown Quito –Casona de San Miguel- sponsors neighborhood community work. Opens mid-2011.
· Mashpi Lodge’s construction and operational standards incorporate best practices in environmental design and community involvement. Also opens mid-2011.