WHY THIS TRIP
Explore the best of Peru and Ecuador: Machu Picchu, the Amazon basin, and the Galapagos Islands. Travel to the Amazon basin in southern Peru, home to incredible wildlife.
Experience this amazing ecosystem from the comfort of the Tambopata Research Center, a remote rainforest lodges adjacent to one of the largest parrot and macaw clay licks in the world, making for incredible wildlife viewing. Hike to incredible Inca ruins in Cusco and the Sacred Valley before hiking the one day Royal Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, arriving on foot through the Sun Gate just like the Incas did.
Complete your journey with a 5 or 6 day cruise through the Galapagos Islands, the “Enchanted Isles.” Living on board the luxurious first class Odyssey Yacht, you travel from island to island observing the wildlife up close by kayak, foot, and snorkeling.
- Arrive to Machu Picchu on foot via the Gate of the Sun
- Easy to moderate hiking on Inca trails and through beautiful countryside
- Exploring the popular and lesser know Inca sites
- Relaxing each night at a comfortable boutique hotel
- Two visits to Machu Picchu – in the late afternoon (no crowds!) and the morning
- Experiencing the culture of Peru, both past and present
- Incredible, knowledgeable local guides
- The comfortable Tambopata Research Center is located in an uninhabited area of the Tambopata National Reserve and next to the Bahajua-Sonene National Park, so it is one of the most pristine and wildlife rich areas in this part of the Amazon.
- Wildlife viewing with your expert bilingual guide
- Observe massive flocks of macaws and parrots with an early morning visit to one of the largest clay licks in the Amazon.
- Much ground-breaking macaw conservation research has been carried out from the TRC and you will likely have the chance during your stay to talk with biologists, botanists, ecologists and other experts staying at the TRC while they do fieldwork.
- Get up close and personal with the amazing wildlife in the Galapagos Islands, including giant tortoises and blue-footed boobies
- Relax in the jacuzzi or sun deck of the first class Odyssey Yacht as you travel from island to island
- Snorkel with sea turtles, white-tipped reef sharks, and playful sea lions
LOCAL TRIP OPERATORS
Amazonas Explorer (Peru)
For more than 30 years Amazonas Explorer has used a different approach in leading high-quality trips and adventures in South America. While the company had its beginnings in adventure tourism, its success in building a strong team of knowledgeable guides has enhanced its ability to offer a range of innovative cultural tours.
By raft, bike, foot, horse and even stand up paddle board, travelers are immersed in their surroundings to explore in unique ways the highlights of southern Peru, the company’s home turf. Every adventure with Amazonas Explorer is treated with impeccable care and top-notch services, all focused on the client’s comfort and safety.
The current owners, while originally from the United Kingdom, have lived and played in the Cusco region for more than 20 years. The itineraries they’ve crafted are based on places they love and activities they enjoy. Their obvious love for Peru shines through in the company’s efforts to maximize benefits to local economies and to promote responsible tourism across the country.
Beginning in the home office, its professionally trained guides, cooks and support crew are well cared for as they build rewarding careers for themselves within the hierarchy of the company. With more than 20 office staff and a Peruvian team total of nearly 200, Amazonas Explorer prides itself on being a great place to work.
On an Inca Trail hiking trip, for instance, it is likely you will have the support of porters who have been with the company more than 10 years. Amazonas has a porter protection policy in place and all employees enjoy the provisions of proper working conditions, fair wages, quality gear, and insurance.
Dedicated to sustainable tourism projects in alliance with local communities, Amazonas Explorer purchases local food and, when available, local equipment and gear. Its exceptional cultural experiences include engagement with local people and opportunities for travelers to purchase local crafts and weavings directly from their source.
The largely paperless company takes significant steps to further reduce its carbon impact by minimizing its impact to the environment with small group sizes, smart transportation choices, recycling whatever it can, cooking with gas not kerosene or firewood and carefully disposing of all waste generated on trips.
Above all, the entire crew of experts holds collective focus on safety and on providing memorable experiences that are equal to none. Amazonas Explorer is also a member of One Percent for the Planet, donating annually its time and money to reforestation efforts in Peru’s Lares Valley.
Rainforest Expeditions (Amazon)
Rainforest Expeditions is a Peruvian Ecotourism company. Since 1989 its guests and lodges have added value to standing tropical rain forest turning it into a competitive alternative to unsustainable economic uses.
Andean Travel Company (Galapagos Islands)
Andean Travel Company was set up in 2001 as a tour operator specialized in Incoming Tourism and focused on providing unique itineraries and services that surpass expectations of the most demanding customers.
iStrong foundations based on respect and cooperation have ensured a steady growth of the company, both in size and reputation. Nowadays, Andean Travel Company arranges all services for travelers from around the world so they can enjoy and get to know the diversity of the vast destinations that South America has to offer.
The main compromise for Andean Travel Company is to work in the field of sustainable tourism and interact with communities in conservation projects, coaching it’s members and sharing their knowledge about preservation of natural resources. With that in mind the company offers this approach as part of the interaction with the local communities in lodging conditioned to serve with high quality services and strong conservation policies, ensuring the decimation of unfavorable impacts on the nature surroundings.